Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Zucchini Soup

So, if you're like me, you might just have a lot of zucchini that you are running out of ideas on how to use. This is a recipe that my mom just recently tried and it was delicious so I decided to try it today. Just finished it and added a few extra spices and it is delicious.

1 onion (diced)--I used yellow onion
1 Tbsp. butter--I used olive oil

Saute the onions until transparent. Add the following:

4 cups chunked zucchini (if you want the soup to be dark green leave peel on or peel it for lighter green)
3 cups chicken broth

Cook 15-20 min. or until tender. Puree the whole mixture in blender, then pour back in pan.

White sauce:
In separate pan melt 1 cube butter. whisk in 3/4 cup flour. Continue whisking while adding milk (half and half was the original recipe, but evaporated milk works wonders--I used 1 1/2 cans evaporated milk). Stir until smooth but be ready to take it off because it thickens in a hurry.

Add white sauce to puree zucchini mixture and whisk it in until smooth. Add 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg (I also added a couple dashes of cinnamon and "Pumpkin Pie Spice"). Salt & pepper to taste. The original recipe said to sprinkle with cheese before serving, but I didn't and it was delightful.

No comments: